The city is located south of Paris and Orleans and east of Tours in the Loire Valley. It is easily reached from Paris and other major cities by train. The most famous attraction in town is the beautiful Château de Chenonceau that spans the River Cher for a very picturesque setting. The current château was built in 1514–1522 with additions added later. It has a rich history with the ownership changing hands over the years. This is like a scene right out of a movie that will have you dreaming of women in hoop dresses wound tight by their corset gliding down long halls and men with wigs and long tail jackets embroidered in gold threads. Take a moment while visiting to just sit and dream of what it must have been like many years ago. You won't find a prince or princess here but you can always bring yours with you to enjoy this romantic travel experience together. This French castle is open all year for visitors and is well maintained with ticket prices of 13 - 17 Euros, the higher price includes the recommended audio tour.
This travel video provides an excellent tour in itself without any narrative. The introductory shots lure you in to see more as you go beyond the amazing river views of the chateau to the beautiful interior. The view of the gardens surrounded by a wall and moat are everything you would dream of seeing at a castle. It is perfectly maintained. Thanks to the videographer for capturing some of the incredible reasons to travel to Chateau de Chenonceau and the surrounding area, one of the amazing stops on the twelve day tour of France trip itinerary.
You can visit the castle and then experience a beautiful aerial view gliding across the grounds from a hot air balloon. This was a planned excursion but had to be canceled due to weather.
We stayed at Auberge du Bon Laboureur which has a hotel and restaurant. Check availability below for hotels in Chenonceaux and start planning ahead.
Images That Provide 12 Reasons to Visit Chenonceaux
Click on a image and start a slideshow
- Hunting for Chateaux in France? Hunting for Chateaux in France?
- Great Food Awaits Great Food Awaits
- Golden Fall Splendor in France Golden Fall Splendor in France
- French Countryside Fall Splendor French Countryside Fall Splendor
- Kitchen Life in the Chateau Kitchen Life in the Chateau
- Seasonal Fall Decor Seasonal Fall Decor
- Halls That Seem Endless Halls That Seem Endless
- The Glow of Autumn The Glow of Autumn
- Get Fueled Up Get Fueled Up
- Quaint Village Houses Quaint Village Houses
- Turret Towers Standing Tall Turret Towers Standing Tall
- Your Kitchen One Day Your Kitchen One Day